St. John Vianney Minor Seminary, Barkin Ladi, Plateau State is named after the Holy man of Arc, St. John Vianney. The seminary was established in January 1958 by the then Catholic Bishop of Jos, Right Rev. Dr. John Reddington, of blessed memory. The school was opened at the temporary quarters of the senior primary (Boarding) school at Aloce (near Akwanga, Nasarawa State) with 18 specially selected students. Very Rev. fr Sylvester Nagba of Nasarawa diocese was one of them. It moved to its permanent site in Barkin Ladi Plateau Sate in February 1959
The seminary, which is a secondary school, was established mainly for the training of candidates for the Catholic priesthood. This noble seminary is the oldest seminary in the region. It groomed many candidates for the priestly formation in the early sixties for dioceses like Kafanchan, Kaduna, Lafia Bauchi, Zaria, Yola, Jalingo and of course, the host Archdiocese, Jos. The seminary has graduated over one hundred and fifty priests working in the aforementioned Archdioceses and dioceses. Many other who passed through the seminary but opted for other vocations in life are serving in various capacities in the government and private sector of this nation. This only goes to validate the school’s motto: PRO ECCLESIA ET PATRIA.